- A copy of the client’s entire case file should be stored in the cloud.
- You must take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is secure including learning how the provider will store and secure the data, and staying abreast of appropriate safeguards that should be employed by both you and the service provider.
Duration of retention:
- These files should be kept for at least 5-10 years after the case has been closed.
- Look at the practice of local law firms and bar associations to assess if there is a local best practice or legal requirement that recommends a longer duration
- Consider the duration of the RSD cycle until the point of resettlement/residency (or other applicable durable solution), which may extend the file storage period you set