Academic institutions and vocational training institutes play a crucial role in allowing refugees and the host community to develop and adjust their skills to the requirements and demands of the local economy. Thus, they form an important ally in ensuring that refugees can become meaningful contributors to their host communities.
Here are some questions that you can assess in your stakeholder mapping:
- What opportunities exist for refugees?
- What are the languages available for the program?
- Are there scholarships or low costing programs specifically for refugees?
- What restrictions exist for refugees to access existing programs?
- What are their incentives to support the establishment of refugee work rights?
- What are specific ways in which academic institutions can improve your efforts? e.g. support research on market assessments or reduce barriers to access education by providing scholarships.
- Are there any potential allies for policy advocacy?